Thursday 17 August 2017

Financial Ruin (Adrian)

Hebrews 4:15-16 - 
This High Priest of ours understands our weaknesses for he faced all of the same testings we do; yet he did not sin. 
So let us come bodly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy and we will find grace to help us when we need it most.

To me, my illness is probably one of my biggest life challenge. 

Interestingly, if I am being completely honest, it is not the actual death that scare me the most. I know where I am going. I know my Father God is good. Therefore, I am perfectly fine. I do have peace.

It is the sensation of a possible financial ruin, the fear of unable to provide for the family that keeps me awake at night and scare me the most.




My childhood story

  • My grand dad was an addicted gambler, my dad who passed away over 20 years ago never explained to me of his ordeal but I heard it from my mum. 
  • She said my dad was being kidnapped in a gambling den when he was a little boy while my grand dad was gambling his life saving away. 
  • My dad was being sold to place far away from home for over 10 years. He went through all kinds of hardships. 
  • Eventually, he found his way home and reunited with his family. 
  • My dad had a nickname called "Tall Guy" not because he was tall but because he was very short. He was 4ft 11 inches probably to do with his malnutrition through his teenage years. People used to tease him with the nickname.
  • He was lucky to get married. My mum was 5ft tall. 
  • My grand dad was unable to provide for the family. When my mum and dad were married, both side of their parents were living with us and they had a great burden to provide for a family of 10 including all their siblings. Life was hard. My parents worked 7 days a week. I remember, I used to sleep with my mum and dad and my younger brother in a double bed. It was very doable cause both of my mum and dad were short. I was sleeping below their feet.
  • It is not hard to understand why the possibility of financial ruin was my family's deepest fear.
  • When I come to the realisation of this, I come to Jesus and asked Him to break my generational sin and unhealthy soul ties of this fear sensation.
 
When I looked into the passage, Paul said Jesus understand our weakness because He had gone through the same test, just he did not sin.   
This leads me to ask one question, was Jesus ever fear of anything? 

  • Of course yes because he was facing his suffering as a perfect man. 
  • Jesus fear for his pain, his suffering and ultimately, the separation between Him and His Father from a perfect relationship while he bore the sin of mankind. 
  • This is the reason why He said, “Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done.” 
  • When He was in the garden of Gethsemane, He became deeply troubled and distressed. He told them, “My soul is crushed with grief to the point of death. 
  • Jesus was physically, emotionally and spiritually broken.


The beauty
  • Not only Jesus did not deny our emotional and spiritual vulnerability.
  • Now Jesus is offering us a different way to deal with our distress, our deepest fear. 
  • Jesus did not say, look at how I did it, so you must be able to do the same. This will be cruel cause we will never be perfect as Him. 
  • Instead, He is asking us to come to Him, and ask for His grace when we need the most... 
He is carrying us through by his grace and mercy.
Surely he took up our pain and bore our suffering, Isaiah 53:4

He was in fact suffering with us

No comments:

Post a Comment