Monday 10 July 2017

My Motto (Adrian)

Romans 12:3
Because of the privilege and authority God has given me, I give each of you this warning: Don't think you are better than you really are. Be honest in your evaluation of yourselves, measuring yourselves by the faith God has given us.

I preferred the Chinese translation
"看自己得合乎中道"

Now I am going to tell you my trade secret (my motto)

7 years ago, God gave me an impossible task to start the English Speaking Service in our Church. I was a long serving kids and youth leader. We need to start an English Speaking Service because the youths were growing into university age or else we will lose the entire generation.

It was an impossible task. we worked with almost no resource and I had no experience. There were only 6 people in the core team. In the first 3 years, we changed the time plus venue of the service 3 times.  Maintaining the weekly running of the youth group and the English Service was a constant struggle. Attendance were low and were very unstable. 

While I begged to God for more resources. God said me, "I have to work with the people that I have and the day that you learned how to disciple them from scratch, you will know how to shepherd a church."

This is not very encouraging, is it......

It was an understatment to say that the journey was hard. The journey brought me to my knees constantly crying out to Him, Father please show me a way......

There were times, I felt so inadequate, giving up is easy but feeling of letting so many people down drove me to a depressed state, watching my co-workers suffering with me was unbearable.

I know what I am capable to do but I also know full well of my limitations. 

Graudally, things do get better.... My Father is a good Father, brick by brick, layer of mortar after layer, things were begun to take shape.

But how could I take pride in what I are doing without being prideful and not envy over other people for what I don't have..... continually serving out of a spirit of humility (看得合乎中道) and yet take joy in what God has given was an inner battle. 

One day God speak to me through a picture of a "normal staircase". Within a split second, a light bulb moment.........

I pray to the Father and this is what I said.

"May my life be one of the step in the staircase, 
May my ceiling be a stepping stone for people to step on so they can progress to the next step.
May every soul that have stepped over me be my pride and joy.
Father, I will humbly serve you and take pride being a step."

Since the day, this has been the motto of my serve.



P.S. The test for the target treatment has come out positive, this means good news.
I will start my target treatment tomorrow, it is in tablet form and I do not have to endure  chemo, the side effect will be much less and if my body reacts well, it can be effective. (not to the point of eradicating the cancer but containing)
 

 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment